Last week my query was critiqued over at Falling For Fiction. There wasn't much to say about the overall content of the query, but one thing grammar-wise stuck out: the word "that".
Just like commas, apparently "that" is something I don't use correctly.
After the critique, I went back and polished the query. Then I tackled my synopsis, which had the same problem. Then, as a commenter suggested, I went back and did a search for "that" on my manuscript.
A sea of that. As far as the eye can see.
So I started the slow process of removing them. And I realized that while most of the sentences were perfectly cromulent sentences, "that" did something terrible to them. It made them passive.
Ah, the passive voice. Bane of my existence.
So, off to more edits for me. I got half the MS done yesterday. I'm going to shoot for the remainder today. It's going to be a long day.